As most of you probably know, I love scoping out new food! It’s also no secret to those that know me, or have been reading my blog that the Canadian Health Food Association Show (CHFA) is my favourite weekend of the year. This is my ninth year walking every aisle on the trade show floor, talking to the owners and reps of various brands that I know, and meeting new ones too. For a throwback, you can skim my 2012 post, the first year I officially designated myself as “media” at the show – I can’t even believe how much I’ve changed!
The weekend at the CHFA is like my version of Halloween – over two full days. I look forward to trying out new products, meeting new people and seeing the same people I speak with year after year, and doing shots of raw avocado oil along the way, of course.
Like at any health food store, you still need to always ask lots of questions and read labels fully, since some companies define “healthy” very differently than what I think healthy means. Thankfully, in the aisles there were copious amounts of truly healthy and delicious products, plus some that are less healthy, but still really good organic treats. Unfortunately, as every year, there are some unhealthy products that should not be at this show, but we all have to make our own rules and create our own standards!
I took a lot of pictures, as below, but many don’t show a close-up of the product, so I apologize! I have inserted the website address for each product along with each picture and I hope you take the time to explore the brand, and try the product when you see them on shelf in Canada. There are MANY other great brands at the show and in our health food stores, but the ones I have pictures of, were the ones I liked best this year at the show, and are ones that I want to have at home to enjoy myself!
I also want to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the people over the course of the weekend who spent the time to talk and encourage me, and help me explore more foods and more ideas. You will notice that I took pictures with many of the people at the booths – sometimes the owners, sometimes marketing people, and sometimes people who work for the distributor and it’s because they took their time to explain and promote the virtues of their products with me. It’s not often that you have the opportunity to ask questions about the product and get answers directly from people who made it or know all about it, and that’s really a big part of what makes this weekend so great!
I hope you try many of the products and brands below, and hope you’ll let me know if you agree with me on how good they are! Some may not be out on store shelves yet in Canada, but they will be soon!
Most exciting NEW products (see details, photos and links to the product lines below with pictures):
- Luna and Larry’s new flavours coming to Canada!
- Turmeric Paste from Nalida Foods. Trust me!
- Organic Chickpea and Lentil pasta from Chickapea!
- GimMe Roasted Seaweed Snacks’ new flavour – Sriracha!
- Cocomels! Organic, vegan, nut-free, soft and chewy caramels!
- Organico Bello tomato sauce. Awesmazing! Toss with a legume pasta (like #3) and it’s a complete, delicious meal!
- Beekeeper’s Natural newest: Royal Jelly, raw honey and propolis all in ONE!
- Heavenly Organics mint chocolate patties (and all of their patties)!
- Seaweeed Chips and Seaweed Tapenade (seriously!) from Marinoe!
- Activated Popcorns from Living Intentions!
- Mustache Munchies “adult goldfish”, vegan and gluten-free!
- Prana’s new chocolate bark. Just get a bag as soon as you see it!
- Drink syrups (to make your own pop!) from Harmonic Arts
- Olitalia certified organic Avocado Oil (and their ginger drinking vinegar!)
- Earth’s Choice creamed coconut (make coconut milk in an instant!)