As you all know if you’ve been reading my blog for a while, the CHFA trade show is a weekend that I look forward to all year, not only do I get to see so many great people doing great things in food, but I get to see/taste/learn about all of the new things we will see at health food stores and supermarket aisles in the coming months. This year marked the 10th time I’ve been to this show (check out my reviews from 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016). Many people reminded me how when they first met me at the show, I was only as tall as their table (you can see a few years of pictures here)!
As always, I tried many great products, I discovered some great new products brands, and was baffled by the usual couple of booths that REALLY don’t belong at a health food show (like GayLea!). Since I now have a job as a swim instructor all day Saturday, I had only one day to complete the entire show floor instead of two like all my previous years – no mean feat!
Instead of boring you with too many details, I have listed my top finds, in no particular order, from the CHFA 2017 (other highlights can be found in my photo gallery below).
- Greenhouse Juice Co. Although it was Greenhouse’s first time at the CHFA show, I have been a longtime supporter and “enjoyer” of their amazing organic and cold-pressed juice. Where most juice companies would either use HPP and/or plastic bottles to make their juices last longer, Greenhouse is using neither – they have come up with a whole new process that preserves the superpowers of their juice AND avoids plastic bottles and uses glass! You can expect these refreshing drinks to be in smart retailers at a new lower price point later this year, including a new dairy-free milk that is healthy and versatile! (Check out my original review of them from 2014 here, which also happens to be the first blog post written about them!)
- The Chufa Co. This amazing company that has been making tiger-nut milk launched a new product today at the show – tiger-nut ICE CREAM! This delicious dessert is organic, vegan (dairy-free), nut-free (tiger-nuts are actually a tuber), and AWESMAZING! When it hits stores, it will be available in three flavours – vanilla, strawberry, and my favourite, chocolate brownie! This was my favourite sample at the entire show. (Check out my review of their tiger-nut milks here)
- Vegan Rob’s. This amazing new (to Canada) company was founded by Robert Ehrlich (creator of the popular snack food Pirate’s Booty) with the intent on creating a product that was “delicious, healthy, and a whole lot of fun.” Vegan Rob’s makes creative snack foods like asparagus chips and brussel sprout puffs, and although it doesn’t replace eating organic veggies, are delicious and something i have shared with many kids, to rave reviews!
- Michelle’s Rawfoodz. Although this company’s focus seemed to be showing off their new bright salad dressing, spreads and sauce labels and branding, I am much more excited about their new Chocolate and Mint Chocolate Pudding. They are organic, vegan, nut-free, creamy, delicious and only made with really good ingredients that you will know. Review coming soon!
- Organic Gemini. This tiger-nut company (yes, more tiger-nut!) makes protein powder that is ok (I am not a huge protein powder fan) but their granola is incredible, and their new shelf-stable dairy-free beverage that is great for cereal or general milk use – is incredible and totally crap-free! From their company: “Organic Gemini TigerNuts products are all very high in prebiotic fiber, which resists digestion and helps our bodies to naturally develop probiotic bacteria ensuring a strong immune system, which is key to eliminating various causes of fatigue, regulating body temperature, and preventing the onset of most modern diseases. TigerNuts are popular for their weight-loss benefits and are also high in iron, potassium, magnesium, and Vitamins C & E.” Pretty cool! I will do a full review of this brand’s products coming to Canada!
Another successful show on the list! Now – I start getting excited for Natural Products Expo West in Anaheim, which I will be going to in March! I have never been, but can’t wait to see many of these amazing brands there and discover so much more!